A fully illustrated coffee-table book that chronicles the dramatic history of Hastings Pier from its construction in 1872 to the present day.
Designed and built by Eugenius Birch, the pre-eminent pier engineer of the Victorian era, Hastings Pier first opened in August 1872, heralding a new era in the history of British piers. Its popularity was sustained for over a century until changing fashions prompted a long period of decline, culminating in its closure in 2008 and a major fire in 2010. A Pier without Peer tells the story of this remarkable and much-loved structure, from the drilling of the first pile in December 1869, to the ‘official’ re-opening of the gates, following a major restoration project, in 2016.
Hastings Pier was the first to have a multi-purpose entertainments pavilion as part of its design, a feature soon widely adopted by piers across the country. But, when Earl Granville, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports, spoke at the opening ceremony, he described it as ‘a peerless pier – a pier without a peer …’
Published in partnership with The Hastings Pier Charity.
STEVE PEAKE is a retired journalist and writer who has lived in Hastings for most of his life, and has memories of Hastings Pier going back to the 1950s. Steve took part in the campaign to save the pier that followed its closure in 2008, and in 2011 he researched, wrote and published the history booklet Peerless Piers, on which this book is based. Steve is honorary curator of the Hastings Fishermen’s Museum and owner of the Hastings Net Shops Museum. For many years he has also run the website www.hastingschronicle.net, which is a primary database, a source of original information, much of which has not been available to the public before. It features a chronological history of Hastings and St Leonards, as well as films, photos and other features of local interest.
|Date Published||22 December 2016|